Don't Get Mauled at the Mall on Black Friday! Our Top 6 Tips...
Black Friday's going to be a shopping madhouse - it's a given, but you can avoid all that craziness, save a bundle and get amazing gifts without stepping foot in a superstore or mall. Here's our top 6 tips to avoid the crazy and still get the best gifts of all time. We're offering up some local Des Moines ideas, so out-of-towners, just plug in your own awesome local faves. Shopping local's less stressful, a less expensive way to get great gifts, it's fun, you get great service from people who love what they do and you support the shops and restaurants that make your town cool/fun!
1. Get a sugary breakfast treat at La Mie or any other locally-owned bakery/breakfast place. You'll be eating real food made by nice people + face it, you deserve more carbs:]
2. Head to Market Day's Black Friday Market - 60 makers from all over the Midwest offering you the best in gifts for everyone you know - from the tiniest tot to your choosiest friends - shop 9-5pm or any time in between!
3. Shop at Domestica. This season, we've added a ton of new vendors' gorgeous modern handmade - new jewelry, new cards, brand-new home decor, rad new posters + prints and delicious hand-crafted food items, too! Most everything in the shop's under $25 - it's true! Plus, we're open 11-8 every Friday with cookies for everyone + grown-up drinks for all our After 5 shopping friends! Online friends have it even better - they can shop any time they like.
4. Shop the entire East Village neighborhood - so many wonderful/cool shops - all open late Black Friday and every Friday til Christmas! Here's a map and some great shop suggestions!
5. Eat local lunch + dinner. Downtown and the East Village are packed tot he gills with awesome locally-owned eateries. No heated up frozen foods, here folks. Try pizza at Fong's, the world's best tacos + burritos + ice cream at Tacopocalypse, crazy good burgers and shakes at Zombie Burger - amazing American, Italian, Japanese, Lebanese, Vegan, Mexican, Chinese and French foods are available at wonderful locally-owned downtown restaurants.
6. Unwind at your local pub. If you haven't been to Up Down, Des Moines' own barcade, treat yo'self! All games are a quarter, they've got amazing craft beers and there's always a drink special! You'll save some bank as you finish off your long, happy day!
Contact me if you have any questions + have a super fun Black Friday day!