Field Notes’ 35th Quarterly Edition celebrates a chemical process we witness nearly every day, but rarely take the time to appreciate. Fire gives us heat and light. Fire can frighten and endanger us. With a bit of olive oil, it makes asparagus palatable. But in its most primal, elemental state, it inspires us to gather around and watch it while we share stories, ideas and friendship.
"...we needed to do a bunch of tests to determine the plan for the notebooks. We tried a whole bunch of variations, as always, inspired by our collection of vintage notebooks, and also various Boy Scout handbooks, merit badge guides and other ephemera. We eventually decided on a technique common before process color separations made color printing easy: a photographic halftone printed over blocks of solid spot-colors to simulate a color photo. In this case, each book is printed with five different spot colors, the darkest color being the photographic halftone. Three stages of the fire are represented on the three covers, “Dusk,” “Night,” and “Dawn,” and Aaron Draplin came up with a series of logos, “Geometry,” “Community,” and “Responsibility,” for the backs. They’re printed on a coated-one-side paperboard (coated outside, uncoated inside) with a satin varnish applied to protect the finish.
Why not choose a card + let us mail this gift for you? We'll inscribe the card + include it with your gift for free! Just choose a card and click the link in the description to let us know what you'd like to say. easy, quick, worry-free. Available until 12/15 for holiday delivery.
The body pages are white Finch Opaque 60#T ruled with our 3/16" graph, each featuring a different ink color matched to the inside cover. The books are bound with gold staple wire.
With at least three ex-Scouts here at Field Notes Midwest HQ, we feel any night spent around a fire in the woods, should be rewarded with a patch. So, we created a handsome 2-1/4" one inspired by (but larger than) merit badges, and our friends at Brewery Outfitters in PDX stitched ’em up. There's one included with every 3-Pack. We hope you'll wear yours, and that our Summer 2017 Field Notes come in handy as you become a true Campfire Master.
01. Proudly printed by the good people of eDOC Communications, Mount Prospect, Ill.
02. Cover: WestRock Tango Coated Cover C1S Paperboard “White” slathered with a whopping fifteen (five per book) hand-picked soy-based Saphira inks.
- 03. Innards: Finch Paper Opaque Smooth 60#T “Bright White,” with a fine, 1-color application of soy-based Saphira inks.
- 04. Cover and innards printed on a Heidelberg Speedmaster XL 105 40" 6-color printing press.
- 05. Bound with gold staple wire on a Heidelberg Stitchmaster ST 270 5-pocket saddle stitcher with cover feeder/scorer & Rima RS 10S in-line stacker, with appreciation to Samuel Slocum, George W. McGill, and William J. Brown, the “Founding Fathers of the Staple.”
- 06. Corners precisely rounded to a 3/8" (9.5mm) radius with a Challenge SCM double round-corner machine.
- 07. Graph grid: 3/16" × 3/16" (4.7mm × 4.7mm).
- 08. Memo book dimensions are 3-1/2" × 5-1/2" (89mm × 140mm).
- 09. FIELD NOTES uses only the Futura typeface family (Paul Renner, 1927) in its materials.
- 10. All FIELD NOTES memo books are printed and manufactured in the U.S.A.
- 11. UPC: 858493003547